All Provider Types

Requests for Urgent Staffing Resources for COVID-19

The California Department of Public Health has released clarification for requesting staffing resources during this pandemic.

Healthcare facilities that experience a sudden spike in staff absenteeism must report these issues as an unusual occurrence. Upon notification, CDPH and the local health department will assess the situation and determine whether the facility can continue to operate safely.

The local public health department will contact the MHOAC to initiate the process of locating resources within the local area. Staffing resources may be available from hospitals and healthcare facilities, healthcare coalitions, medical reserve corps, local staffing agencies, etc.  All efforts should be made to locate resources within the local operational area.

If the MHOAC cannot fulfill the staffing needs using local sources, they may request staffing resources from the region via the Regional Disaster Medical Health Coordinator/Specialist. If regional resources are not available, inadequate or delayed, the RDMHS will forward the request to the Medical Health Coordination Center (MHCC).

The MHCC will determine if state resources are available through the California Emergency Medical Services Authority’s California Medical Assistance Teams, the California Health Corps, or through other staffing contracts. If state resources are available including the Health Corps, they will be deployed to meet short-term staffing needs.

Any deployment of state staff resources is subject to the following requirements:

1. Deployments of state staff resources are intended to be for limited durations. Deployments will be made in 72-hour increments that may be extended depending on the availability of resources.

2. Facility operators are responsible for providing all PPE and other necessary equipment.

3. Facility operators will be required to reimburse the state for all costs associated with the staff deployed to the facility.

NOTE: In addition to SNFs, LPCs, ALs, and RFCEs can request resources through the MHOAC as described above.